Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Long enough...

So, I figured I had better start blogging again or I would never do it again. Life has just been so busy. Can't even begin to summarize the last month.
I guess the biggest news is that we are now a family of 7. Don't freak out anyone, I am not pregnant again! We have guardianship of our nephews. They are 8 and 13, so it brings a whole new dynamic to the house. Structure and consistency are what I keep reminding myself of. I try. I try. I try. But 5 kids.... Holy Moly as Jax would say. That is currently his favorite saying. Trying to keep the house clean is an absolute joke. That is all I can say, it is an absolute joke. Luckily, my mother-in-law has been to visit more frequently lately. She helps a lot when she is here. She claims the kitchen as her room and takes care of it quite well.
The next big news is that Jax is finally sleeping in his big boy bed all by himself! I had been eluding to the fact that he was going to have to do this when he turned 4. I started talking to him about it a lot the 2 weeks leading up to his birthday. He also received an electric off-road jeep thingy that came with instructions that said, "can only be used by big boys that sleep in their own beds the night before." Pretty silly, but it has worked. The first 2 to 3 nights were rough. I spent a lot of time on the floor next to him in his room. He does get up a few times here and there, but all in all it has gone fairly well. I wish everything else for him would turn out well. He is having a really hard time right now. I know there have been a lot of changes for him lately, so that has a lot to do with it. He was kicked out of school, the boys moved in, etc.... I just hope that things are going to settle down soon. We have an IEP in place for him at HeadStart in the fall and they seem very willing to work with him. We are following up with the developmental pediatrician in Ann Arbor and he is going to participate in a big evaluation program at U of M. We also will be starting his OT therapy and are looking into a camp for sensory and speech needs. If only we won the lottery it would make it a lot easier to get him the treatment he needs. It is unbelievable that the majority of insurance companies do not cover therapies for autistic children. Ugh!!!
Anywho, we are off in the morning to Castaway Cafe in Howell with the whole gang. Should be fun. We are meeting the Kornacki's. I just have to remember to pack the advil for the headache that will come.
For any of you people who read this to keep up with us, I promise to post some pics next time!

2 comments:

Staci Compher said...

.....sounds like life is keeping you busy!!! but where are those pics you promised to post...hee,hee....have you snuck in any scrappin'....between all that....that's probably impossible...huh??

Ken said...

Hello Heather. I just logged onto my blog for the first time since I wrote my first entry about Michael. If you get a chance, I actually finished the thing, so it has a better ending. Anyway, I think I'm going to try to keep up writing a few things about Michael, since there are others out there who share the pain. When you get a chance, drop me a line and let me know about your son's diagnosis and what you've learned from UofM hospital.